Everyone who is the least bit organized is making NY's resolutions for themselves in 2011, so I thought it might be fun to make some NY's resolutions for buyers and sellers of real estate, to help them achieve their goals.
Buyers' Note to Self: 1) Find a REALTOR and cultivate an open and trusting relationship. BTW what's a REALTOR? A licensed real estate agent, who is a member of the National Assoc of Realtors and does business by a written code of ethics, is a REALTOR.
2) Drive by the houses and neighborhoods found on-line over the past 4-6 weeks. Realize that previewing the location of a house will dictate if I want to see it or not.
3) Find out what price range is affordable. Meet with a banker or mortgage broker as "job one" before serious house hunting and home buying begins.
4) Trust my REALTOR to guide me through the process and have fun doing it!
Sellers' Note to Self: 1) Learn current market values and price property accordingly. Do not over price it!
2) Stage each room to show it to its best advantage. This may require a good cleaning and clearing out clutter.
3) Pay attention to large and small details such as emptying the kitty litter box before a showing.
4) Reduce asking price if property is not getting showings or offers.
5) Show confidence to my REALTOR in his or her ability to get the house sold. Ask for a review of marketing strategy every two weeks.